Fountain at Kanyakumari:  

Kanyakumari district, which lies in the southernmost tip of Peninsular India, is famous for its majestic hills, virgin beaches, pristine rivers and meandering rivulets. The district has a fragrance of architecture culture and customs of neighbouring Kerala mixed with the rich deep traditions, culture and architecture of Tamil Nadu. However, for want of promotional campaign and lack of basic amenities most of the tourists coming to this district return back after seeing just Kanyakumari and Padmanabhapuram Palace. It was at this juncture that the district administration decided to take up tourism promotion initiatives in a major way. Attempt has been made to put up basic amenities at the virgin beautiful spots so as to facilitate the inflow of the tourists.

  Mahatma Gandhi Memorial :  

Text Box:  The place has been associated with great men like Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi in whose names memorials have been here.  They are very beautiful and add to the attraction of this place.  The beautiful Gandhi Memorial completed in 1956, is situated as a memorial to the Father of the Nation.  An urn  of Mahatma Gandhi was kept here for public to pay homage before immersion.            Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari twice in 1925 and 1937.   Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari in January 1937.  In 1948 his ashes were immersed in the sea waters in Kanyakumari.   In commemoration of this event a beautiful monument has been constructed here.  Its central shape is 79 feet high representing the age of the Mahatma at the time of the sun at mid day on 2nd October would fall on the peedam through a hole in the roof.  The memorial was transferred to the administrative control of the Public (Information and Public Relations)  Department from Public Works Department of Government of Tamil Nadu in the year 1978. Visting Hours -7 AM To 7 PM . Entrance Free

  Kamarajar Manimandapam:  

Text Box:  Another monument Kamarajar Manimandapam was raised and dedicated to Late.  Sri. Kamarajar, The freedom fighter, Former Chief minister of Tamil Nadu, President of Indian National Congress.  He  was popularly known as Black Gandhi among the masses and king maker during congress regime.  This  monument was constructed  where his ashes were kept here for public to pay homage before immersion into the sea. Visting Hours -7 AM To 7 PM . Entrance Free

  Thiruvalluvar Statue:  

Thiruvalluvar is the immortal poet of Tamil Nadu and has given to the world  Thirukkural.   The memorial statue Text Box:  of Thiruvalluvar is in Kanyakumari.  The pedestal of the statue is of 38 feet height and the statue over it is 95 feet tall with a grand total of 133 feet for the entire sculpture.  The 3 tier pedestal  known as Atharapeedam is surrounded by an artistic Mandapa known as Alankara Mandapam with 38 feet height.  Surrounding the Alankara Mandapa stand 10 elephant statues signifying 8 directions with earth and space down.  The father of Sri. Rama, the hero of Ramayana was called Dasaratha as he was able to charioteer in ten directions.  To help the tourists to worship the holy feet of Thiruvalluvar 140 steps are constructed inside the Mandapa.      The pedestal with a height of 38 feet represents the 38 chapters in the Book of Aram in Thirukural and the statue of 95 feet on the pedestal represents the total chapters in Porul (70 chapters) and Inbam (25 Chapters).  Thus the statue symbolically and artistically signifies that the theme of Porul and Inbam are based on Aram.    Visting Hours -8 AM To 4 PM .

  Vivekananda Rock Memorial:  
  Text Box:  Vivekananda Rock Memorial is another place in Kanyakumari which attracts large number of tourists.  As its name implies, it is essentially a sacred monument, built by the Vivekananda Rock Memorial Committee to commemorate the visit of Swamy Vivekananda to “Shripada Parai” during 24th, 25th and 26th December 1892 for deep meditation and enlightenment. From very ancient times, the rock has been regarded as sacred place.  In Puranic tradition, it has been known as “Sripada Parai: meaning the rock, that has been blessed by the touch of Shripada feet of the Goddess.On the rock, is a projection similar in form to a human fort and a little brownish in complexion, which has traditionally, been revered as a symbol of Shripadam.  According to legend, it was on this rock that Goddess Kanyakumari did Tapas.  
  Sunrise and Sunset:  

Sunrise can be  seen in Kanniyakumari throughout the year at Bay of Bengal.  Sunset can be seen from View Tower throughout the year except the months of June, July and August.

  View Tower and Telescope House:  

Panoramic view of landscape, seashore, Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Thiruvalluvar Statue etc., can be seen at View Tower and through Telescope.

Visiting hours:- 05.00 A.M. to 07.00 P.M.

Entry Fee      :- Rs. 3 /- Adults and Rs. 2 /- for Children

  Government Museum:  

The Government Museum, situated on the Beach Road offers a good collection of sculptured artefacts and crafts of South Indian Temples and is one of the “Must See” places in Kanyakumari.

Visiting hours:- From 09.30 A.M. to 05.00 P.M. (All friday and second Saturday  holiday)

Entry Fee      :- Adults Rs. 5 /- and Children Rs. 3 /-  per head. Foreigner Rs.100 /-

  Guganathaswamy Temple:  

This is a 1000 year old temple and is said to have been built by the King Raja Raja Chola.  The architectural style of the Cholas is quiet apparent  in this temple.  It is located near Railway Station.  There are 16 inscriptions found  in this temple that date back to the years 1038 A.D., 1044 A.D., 1045 .A.D. 
Visiting hours:- From 06.00 to 11.15 A.M and 05.00 P.M to 08.45 P.M.

  Kumari - Hall of history:  

It is located south side of Kanyakumari Railway Station exhibits the pictures of historical wonders and also comprised rare photographs Kamarajar, Gandhiji and other freedom fighters.

Visiting hours:- From 08.30 A.M to 08.30 P.M.

Entry fees    :- Adults Rs. 10 /-  Students Rs. 5/-


Suchindrum is a small village about 12 km. from Kanyakumari and about seven kilometres from Nagercoil.  This holy place is located on the bank of the river Pazhayar, adjoining fertile fields and coconut groves and the temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan.  The word denotes Siva, Vishnu and Brahmma as.  Sthanu represents Siva, Mal represents Vishnu while Ayan represents Brhamma i.e. Siva, Vishnu and Brhamma in “One Form”.Text Box:  Suchindrum means the place where Indra attained ‘Suchi’ i.e., purification.  The Sthalapurana has it that Indra suffered a curse from sage Gowthama, when he stealthily cast amorous glances at Ahalya the wife of Gowthama.  Not able to suffer the mortification brought about by the curse.  Indra had to seek immediate redemption.  He came to ‘Gnana Aranya’ as this place was then called and offered worship to Lord Shiva.  Relieving Indra of his curse, Lord Shiva granted him of his wish that the place where he attained purification should henceforth be called ‘Suchindrum’. Another story goes to say that the Trimurthys i.e. Brhamma, Vishunu and Shiva, cajoled by their divine consorts came down to the earth to test the chastity of Anusuya, wife of sage Athri at Gnana Aranya.  The Gods for this misadventure had to suffer a surse form the Rishipatni and to undergo the purification process, before they could be restored to their former glory. It is said that Thanumalaya Swamy temple is the only shrine dedicated to the Trinity in India.  The present structure of the temple is the work of a number of persons spread over a number of centuries.  It is a complex of many beautiful structures constructed at various times and is one of the best specimens and a store house of the Dravidian style of art and architecture.

  Kanyakumari Bagavathiamman Temple:  

Kanyakumari derives its name from Goddess Kanyakumari Amman, the presiding deity of the area. The most prominent temple, the Kumari Amman, is dedicated to the goddess Parvathi as a virgin. The temple situated at the edge of the ocean for Goddess Kanyakumari  has the legendary account that once Banusura, the demon king got supremacy over Devas and meted out cruel punishment to them.  The Devas performed a Yagna pleading to annihilate the evils. Goddess Parasakthi came to Kumari in the form of a virgin girl and began her penance.  Meanwhile Lord Shiva fell in love with her and arrangements for the marriage were made in the midnight a particular day.  Now the Devine sage Narada realised that their marriage would destroy the chances of  annihilating Banusura  because he could be killed only by a virgin.  When Lord Shiva was on his way to Kanyakumari from Suchindrum at Valukkamparai 5 kms south of Suchindram, Sage Narada assumed the form of a cock and crowed falsely heralding the break of dawn.  Thinking that the auspicious time for the marriage was past, Lord Shiva returned disappointed.  The Goddess too decided to remain virgin after that.  Then, when Banusura attempted to win the Goddess by force, she killed him with her Chakragudha, and relieved the suffering s of Devas.  Then she resumed her penance and remained virgin. The contact telephone number of Devesthanam office, Bagavathiamman Temple is 04652-246223. Timings from 4.30 AM to 12.15 PM & 4.PM to 8.15 PM. Annual Festivals are  Car festival (May / June) and Navaratri (Nine Days) Festival (September / October).

  Udayagiri Fort:  

The fort was rebuilt in the reign of Marthandavarma, the Venad King, during 1741-44.  Under the supervision ofText Box:  De Lannoy, the Belgian General, who served as the Chief of the Travancore army; East India Company’s troops were stationed there till the middle of the 19th century.    Foundry for the manufacture of guns, mortars and cannon balls were also established within the fort under the supervision of the General.  In the early days, the fort was of strategic importance.  Prisoners captured in the campaign against Tippu were confined in this fort for sometime.   It is further said that a brass gun 16 ft. long bored as a 22 ponder, found in the fort could not be removed even for a few yards by a large number of people, even with the help of 16 elephants.  A village has come up in front of the fort.  The people who live here, are mostly agriculturists.  A few of them are engaged in trade.  Pottery making is the chief Industry among a section of the people. Now, the District Administration, with the help of Forest Department has set up a Biodiversity Park over here. Tourists can see deer, ducks, fountains, birds and over 100 varieties of trees inside the fort.

  Mathoor Hanging Bridge:  

The  Mathoor Hanging Trough is the tallest as well as the longest trough bridge in Asia, having a height of 115Text Box:  feet and a length of one kilometre.  Constructed in 1966, this bridge has become a place of tourist importance and hundreds of tourists visit this place.  This is situated in Mathoor, hamlet of Aruvikkarai revenue village in Thiruvattar Panchayat Union. The bridge has been constructed at Mathoor across the river Parazhiyar at a cost of Rs. 12.90/- lakhs and the trough canal (Pattanamkal canal) on the bridge carries water for irrigation from one side of a hill to the other side of a hill.  The trough has a height of seven feet with a width of seven feet six inches.  The canal is being shouldered by  28 huge pillars.  By the unrelented efforts of late Thiru. K. Kamaraj, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, this canal was constructed as a drought relief measure and for the development of agriculture in Vilavancode and Kalkulam Taluks. The District Administration has recently put up a staircase from top to the bottom of the bridge and also built a children's park and bathing platforms over here.

  Thirparappu Water Falls:  

The Kodayar makes it's descend at Thirparappu and the water fall at this place is about 13km. Text Box:  from Pechiparai dam and 4km from Thiruvarambu Park. The river bed is rocky and about 300 feet in length.  The water falls from a height of nearly 50 feet and the water flows for about seven months in a year.  The whole bed above the falls is one rocky mass which extends up to a distance of about quarter of a kilometre upstream where the famous Thirparappu weir has been constructed for supplying water to the paddy fields.  On either side of the river, on the left bank of the river in between the water falls and the weir, there is a temple dedicated to Siva enclosed by strong fortification.   The District Administration has recently constructed a swimming pool for children over here which is very popular among the children.

  BAY WATCH  (Water Theme Amusement Park), Kanyakumari:  

The water theme amusement park at sunset   point offers a unique way to experience the exotic grandeur of Kanyakumari in its integrals.  Baywatch comes up with a wholesome family entertainment saga of rapturous experience, which leaves you at a point of nonstop excitement in a thrilling and bewitching water world.  Great fun styles equalling international standards keep you on the ecstatic brink of frenzy.  Fun loaded rides like Bumping Car, Sky Cab, Crazy Chairs, Hot Tea Cups, Giant Wheel, Columbus, Wave pool, Milky Way, Multiple Splash, Kids Pool are some of our attractions. The location being a prominent place of national integration, by all means, Baywatch has become the abode of leisure, happiness laughter, family gatherings, etc. The search for providing unique and multiple entertainment facilities that match with international standards pave the way for introduction of India’s first Wax Museum, which is line with the Madam Tussauds Wax Museum at London.

  St. Xavier Church:  

Text Box:  St.Xavier an outstanding and dedicated priest visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa, he never missed the opportunity of visiting Kottar in Kanniyakumari district which was a celebrated commercial centre at that time.  During his stay at Kottar, he used to worship St. Mary in the small temple.  He was popularly known as “Valiya Pandaram” among the people of Kottar.  While he was at Kottar, he averted the invasion of Padagas on the people of Venad which was appreciated by the king, who became closer to the Priest.  In recognition of Xavier’s services, the king allotted a land to him for the purpose of constructing a catholic church at Kottar.  There was already a church in 1544 in the same place, where the St. Xavier’s church stands now.   The church records show that the church was built in the year 1600 A.D.  In the year 1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine of our lady was also renovated and vaulted over.  In 1930, the church was raised to the status of a Cathedral.  In 1942, in commemoration of the fourth centenary of the arrival of St.Xavier in India, a beautiful tower to the saint, a grotto to Out Blessed Mother and a small shrine to St.Ignatius who sent him to India were constructed in the Cathedral premises.  In 1955, the church was further extended and the chapel of Our Lady was incorporated into the enlarged church.  The Church of St. Xavier enjoys a great fame as a place of miracles from early times.  The annual festival is celebrated during the month of November – December lasting for 10 days

  Padmanabhapuram Palace:  

The ancient historical town Padmanabhapuram is one of the four municipalities in the district is 55 Km. south of Trivandrum, about two km. east of Thuckalay and 35 km. from Kanyakumari on the Trivandrum-Cape ComerinText Box:  road.  This town is  surrounded by a fort with an area of 187 acres.  The ancient capital of Travancore might be constructed before AD 1601.  The palace with an area of seven acres, is situated in the very centre on the Padmanabhapuram Fort, amidst hills, dales and rivers.  The palace which is situated in Kanyakumari District is under the control of a Curator of the Archaeological Department of Kerala Government.  The fort which was built with mud originally was dismantled and reconstructed with granite by Maharaja Marthanda Varma.  The height of the walls varies from 15’ to 24’ according to the inclination of the ground.  Entrance Hall:-  The entrance to the main edifice is controlled by another ornamental gateway with retainers for watch and ward.  The gabled entrance has wooden ceiling profusely ornamented with lotus medallions.  The most striking feature of the entrance is the clock-tower which is one of the oldest in India erected in 1832 A.D. and still continues to be in working order. The first floor the Poomuham has a council chamber or Mantrasala which is meant for holding discussions with ministers and prominent citizens.  The floor off this hall, which is polished with the admixture of coconut shell ashes, eggs fermented in molasses and lime reflects the figure like a mirror.  Next to the Mantrasala is the Dancing Hall which was used exclusively for the members of the royal family.  Adjacent to the Council Chamber and to the south of dancing hall is the dining hall called “Uttupura”, with two floors (the ground and the first) each measuring roughly 78 by 6 metres and it would accommodate about 2000 people at a time.   Feeding of about 2000 poor persons, it is said, was done here every day and so the king was called ”Dharmaraja”.  Uppirika Malika : - The most attractive building in the whole palace is the ‘Uppirika Malika’ which consists of three storied.  ‘Uppirika’ is the abbreviated term of ‘Muppirika’ which means the residence of the eldest member of the family.  A wooden cot is erected on the top most floor in the belief that “Lord Vishnu” the chief deity.  The first floor contains a wooden cot made of 64 medicinal plants, on which Maharaja used to sleep.  The medicinal cot was presented to Maharaja “Marthanda Varma” by the Dutch East India Company in 1750, as a mark of friendship.  The Navarathri Mandapa: - To the west of the Zuppirika Mandapa is the Navarathri Mandapa which is a spacious hall of exquisitely beautiful granite pillars with drooping pendants reminiscent of the Nayakar style of architecture.  In the Navarathri Mandapa, performances of Bharatha Natya and musical recitals took place in the royal presence. 

   Pechiparai Dam:  

Text Box:  About 43 km. from Nagercoil this dam has been constructed.  This dam in Kalkulam Taluk, was built during the days of the Maharaja Sri Moolam Thirunal across the river Kodayar.  The construction of the dam was designed on the pattern of the Periyar dam in the Madurai district.  The length of the dam is 425.1 mts.  It has a catchment area of 204.8  There is a camp shed provided at the dam side for the visitors.  The weather is very pleasant and hence attracts a large number of tourists. The reservoir is surrounded by dense forests which are famous for their valuable trees and rich would life such as tiger, elephants, deer etc. A hill tribe, small in number known as ‘Kanikars’ dwell in the dense forests around the lake.

  Muttom Beach:  

The famous beach at Muttom is located about 16 kms from Nagercoil and 32 kms from Kanyakumari. Muttom is famous for its beautiful landscaping and high rocks dipping into the sea at the beach-side. The sun set view point at Muttom is one of the most Panoramic view points in the district. Another attraction of Muttom is the century old light-house built by the British. However so far this beautiful beach has always been unsafe for the tourists since the rocks on which tourists go to see the sea view are slippery and a number of fatal accidents have occurred over the past few years. The district administration, decided to put protective stainless steel fencing across the entire dangerous areas and also to put up small open huts at the rock tops for the tourists to sit and watch the massive sea waves leisurely with protection from sun and rain. The fencing work and the small huts have already been completed to the delight of the tourists who mob the beach in hundreds during weekends. Sitting benches have also been constructed in a circle for the elders to chit-chat, relax and enjoy the sun set. Seeing the response of the tourists, the district administration has sanctioned for the construction of a toilet complex, a small shopping complex and a children's park at a cost of Rs.11.60 lakhs and there are plans to undertake sculpture - works across the rocks to add to the ambience of the area.

  Peer Mohammed Durha:  

Text Box:  There is a durha named ‘Peer Mohamed Oliyullah Durha’ at Thuckalay named after the great philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District.  After spending sometime in spiritual pursuits in Peermedu of Kerala State he came and stayed at Thuckalay.  Being a Tamil poet of great eminence, he wrote many books on philosophy.  He had intimate relationship with the Kings of Chera dynasty.  It is said that he laid foundation stone for the Padmanabhapuram Granite Fort.   The Anniversary of the great philosopher poet is celebrated every year on a grand scale on the full moon day in the month of Rajap.  Both the people of Kerala and Tamil Nadu attend the celebrations on large numbers irrespective of their caste, creed and religion.

  Vattakottai (Circular Fort):  

VATTAKOTTAI (Agasteeswaram Taluk):    Vattakottai, a granite fort six kilometres north-east of Kanyakumari cape, forms the terminal of a line of ramparts known as the South Tranvancore lines built by Marthanda Varma to serve as defence for Nanjil Nadu.  It is rectangular in  shape and  covers an area of about three and a half acres.  The fort is enclosed by walls 25 to 26 feet high, including the parapet, 29 feet thick at the front, 18 feet at the corners and 6 feet at the rear.  The portion running into the area is the most strongly built underText Box:  the orders of  De Lannoy during the reign of Mathandavarma (1729-58).  About 1810 A.D. the British forces under the  command of St. Leger marched into Nanjilnad through the Aramboly pass  and demolished the defence lines.  The small river by the side of the fort, and the green vegetation all around add to the scenery of the fort and has now become a holiday resort and picnic centre. It is said that there is a subway or tunnel about four feet width, supposed to connect the padmanabhapuram palace.  Now the tunnel has been closed.  On the northern side of the fort is found a slop to being the canon from the lower to the upper part of the parapet of the fort.  There is well of about 6’ diameter. The whole wall around the fort is repaired and fresh mortar is being applied. Literary or epigraphical evidences are not in store to know much about Vattakotai.  However, from the evidence left by the fort itself, it may be presumed that his fort was the military base to protect the Kumari port which  was a rich pearl harbour.  Since the emblem of the Pandya Kings was ‘Fish’ and we find this emblem in some of the places of the fort, it can be safely concluded that the Pandya Kings had control over this fort for sometime.  Next to Vattakottai, we can see the traces of a light house in Leepuram being called  so after Colonel Lee who has destroyed most of the Kadukkarai Kanyakumari Fort in 1806.  This is a picnic spot, the sea is calm and suitable for bathing.

  Maruthuva Malai:  

Text Box:  The Maruthuva Malai also known as the Marunthu Vazhum Malai – the abode of medicinal herbs, forms from part of the Western Ghats.  According to tradition, the Maruthuva Malai is a fragment of the Sanjeevi Mountain, a piece of which fell down here, and it was carried by Hanuman from Mahendragiri to Srilanka for healing the fatal wounds of Lakshmana, the brother of Rama, the epic hero.  It stretches for more than a km, reaching a height of 800 feet at the highest point.  It is about 11km. from   Nagercoil.


Chitharal is a small village situated at a distance of 7 Kms., from Marthandam and 45 Kms, from Kanyakumari. It is famous for the Rock-cut temple.  Hillock at Chitharal has a cave containing Rock-cut sculptures of Thirthankaras and attendent deities carved inside and outside dating back to 9th  Century A.D.  It was converted into Bagavathy Temple in the 13th Century A.D. Cars and Vans can go upto the foot of the hill.  One has to walk for about 10 minutes to reach the temple.  The Jain images have been preserved Central Archaeological Survey of India


Ulakkai Aruvi is a natural waterfalls situated in Azhagiapandipuram village of Thovalai Taluk.  Water is available in this water fall in the summer season.  Many tourists come here for bathing and to enjoy the nature.  The pathway to this waterfall lies in the Reserve Forest.


This is a natural dam constructed by T. Chitirai Maharaja.  If supplies water to Nagercoil Municipality and it is also proposed  to get water from here for Suchindrum and Kanniyakumari.  It is very picturesque spot and ideal for picnics  by  groups.

  Sanguthurai Beach:  

Sanguthurai is a beautiful beach resort and is very convenient for the local population of Nagercoil.  It is only about 10 kms from the city. Unfortunately no infrastructure facilities were available in this beach. The district administration has now sanctioned a project for putting up of a children's park, seating facility, open huts (Kudils) with Terracotta roofs and lighting facility at the beach at a cost of Rs.6.00 lakhs. The entire work has been completed. It is also proposed to put up a few shops for Women Self Help Groups at the site, which can provide eatables to the oncoming tourists at the beach side.

  Chothavilai Beach:  

Text Box:  This beach is about 10 Kms from Kanyakumari, is one of the best natural beaches of the district. The beach has shallow water and High sand dunes on the back ground. The District Administration has through its own funds and through the funds of MPLAD scheme, put up rest shelters, kudils and a view tower over here for the benefit of tourists. The tourists can reach the beach through the newly laid coastal road which is a very beautiful drive along the sea-coast.